March 16, 2013
LAS VEGAS - UCLA seeks its fourth Pac-12 Tournament title when it faces Oregon (25-8) on Saturday evening in the Pac-12 Tournament championship game. The Bruins defeated Arizona, 66-64, in a semifinal contest on Friday night. UCLA last played in the tournament's title game in 2008, winning both the conference's regular-season and tournament titles that year.
Venue: MGM Grand Garden Arena (13,151)
Tip-Off Time: 8:05 p.m. (PT)
TV Talent: Dave Pasch (play-by-play), Bill Walton (analyst), Samantha Ponder (reporter)
Radio (UCLA Sports Network from IMG College): AM 570
Radio Talent: Chris Roberts (play-by-play), Tracy Murray (analyst)
SIRIUS Satellite Radio: Channel 85
SIRIUS XM Radio: Channel 85
FOLLOW THE ACTION
PAC-12 TOURNAMENT NOTES
- UCLA has reached the championship game of the Pac-12 Tournament for the first time since 2008 ... that season, the Bruins won the Pac-12 regular-season title before defeating Stanford, 67-64, in the tournament's title contest.
- The Bruins have a chance to become the conference's first team to win the Pac-12 regular-season and tournament titles since 2008, when UCLA accomplished that feat for the second time in three years.
- UCLA has advanced to the championship game for the fourth time in 16 tournaments ... the Bruins have gone 3-1 all-time in the title contest (won the tournament in 1987, 2006 and 2008 ... lost in the title game in 1990).
- UCLA freshman Shabazz Muhammad has averaged a team-leading 17.0 ppg and grabbed 4.5 rpg in the Bruins' two Pac-12 Tournament game victories ... Jordan Adams registered 13.5 ppg and 7.5 rpg in the tournament.
THE SERIES VERSUS OREGON
- UCLA leads the all-time series against Oregon by an 83-30 margin, but the Ducks won the most recent meeting by defeating the Bruins, 76-67, in Pauley Pavilion on Jan. 19, 2013.
- Four players on each team scored in double figures when UCLA and Oregon faced each other in January ... Tony Woods led Oregon with 18 points, while UCLA's Travis Wear scored a team-high 17 points.
- In his 10th season as UCLA's head coach, Ben Howland has led the Bruins to a 12-7 record against Oregon.
- UCLA has gone 1-2 against Oregon in previous Pac-12 Tournament meetings ... the two programs have never faced each other in the Pac-12 Tournament title game.
FRIDAY NIGHT'S GAME
- Jordan Adams scored a team-leading 24 points, including 16 points in the second half, to help UCLA complete the season sweep of Arizona with a 66-64 victory ... Adams broke the fifth metatarsal in his right foot on the game's final play and will miss the remainder of the season.
- The Bruins have won at least three games against Arizona in two seasons - the Bruins have gone 3-0 against the Wildcats in 2006 and 2013 ... UCLA has won five of the last seven meetings against Arizona.
- UCLA overcame a double-digit deficit for the second straight game ... after defeating Arizona State on Thursday (80-75), the Bruins rallied from an 11-point deficit in the final 11 minutes against Arizona on Friday night.
- Jordan Adams became UCLA's first freshman to score at least 20 points in a Pac-12 Tournament game since the conference resumed its annual tournament in 2002 ... he reached the 20-point plateau for the 11th time this season and has scored in double figures in 25 of 33 games.
- Adams became UCLA's first player to score at least 20 points in any postseason game since March 12, 2010, when Michaell Roll scored 27 points against California in a Pac-12 Tournament semifinal game.
- Shabazz Muhammad finished with 11 points, six rebounds and one block against Arizona ... he has scored in double figures in 32 of 33 games (including each of the Bruins' last 17 contests).
ALSO OF NOTE
- UCLA won its 31st conference championship with a 61-54 victory at Washington on March 9 ... the Bruins entered the day tied for first place with Oregon, which dropped a 72-62 decision at Utah shortly after UCLA's game ended.
- The Bruins have won four Pac-12 regular-season titles in the last eight seasons, all under the guidance of 10th year head coach Ben Howland ... UCLA also won the Pac-10 regular-season crown in 2006, 2007 and 2008.
- UCLA has gone 11-2 in games decided by five points or fewer this season ... in addition, UCLA has posted a 10-5 record in games played away from Pauley Pavilion (6-3 road, 4-2 neutral site).
- The Bruins have won at least 25 games in five of the last eight seasons ... prior to head coach Ben Howland's arrival, UCLA had won 25 or more games in six of the previous 28 seasons (after John Wooden retired).
- Larry Drew II has totaled a school single-season record 247 assists and is the Bruins' only player to have started all 33 games ... he ranks in the top five in the nation in assists per game (7.5) and assist turnover ratio (3.3).
- UCLA's three freshman starters (Jordan Adams, Kyle Anderson, Shabazz Muhammad) have accounted for 55.2 percent of UCLA's total points, 47.3 percent of the total rebounds and 43.3 percent of the total minutes.
- Ben Howland is one of five head coaches in Pac-12 history to have won at least 100 conference games and maintained a winning percentage above .650 (also John Wooden, Lute Olson, Jim Harrick, and Mike Montgomery).
- Larry Drew II has logged 1165 minutes (averaging 35.3 mpg), the highest total by any UCLA player since 2008, when Russell Westbrook (1318) and Josh Shipp (1269) each logged over 1200 minutes.