Feb. 14, 2007
LOS ANGELES - UCLA women's soccer head coach Jillian Ellis announced the signing of 10 players to national letters of intent on Wednesday. Included in the class are U.S. Youth National Team standouts Lauren Barnes, Kylie Wright and Sarah Salazar, along with seven other players with ODP state and regional experience.
"I think this is a very deep and talented recruiting class," said Ellis, who has guided the Bruins to four-straight NCAA College Cup appearances. "We went after specific needs and I think we fulfilled them. These players will make and impact on our program for the next four years and we can't wait to begin working with them."
Barnes, a defender from Upland, Calif., is rated as the No. 2 overall recruit in the nation according to Soccer Buzz. The defender from Upland High School was named a Parade All-American in 2006. She was also named to the 2006 NSCAA/adidas Girls Youth All-America team. Barnes, who was named CIF-SS Co-Player of the Year in 2006, has been a member of the U.S. National Team program since the U-15 age group. She plays club soccer for Arsenal FC.
Wright, a midfielder from Rancho Santa Margarita, Calif., is rated the No. 8 overall recruit in the nation by Soccer Buzz. She was recently brought into camp with the Under-20 U.S. National Team and, like Barnes, was a member of the 2006 NSCAA/adidas Girls Youth All-America team. A former member of the U-17 U.S. squad, she has been involved with the national team program since the U-15 level. Wright plays club soccer for the Southern California Blues and is a first-team All-Orange County selection at Tesoro High School.
Salazar, a midfielder from Broken Arrow, Okla., is listed as a top-25 recruit nationally by Soccer Buzz. Similar to Barnes and Wright, she was been with the U.S. National Team program since the U-15s, playing mostly with the U-16s and U-17s. She scored a goal in the U-17s 3-2 victory over Germany back in 2006. Salazar plays club soccer for the five-time state champion Tulsa Thunder. She is also an all-conference player at Broken Arrow High School.
In addition to the three U.S. Youth National Team standouts, the Bruins signed seven other accomplished players, three of whom are ranked among the top-150 recruits in the country according to Soccer Buzz. Below are the players listed alphabetically.
Elise Britt (Midfielder / Santa Rosa, Calif. / Montgomery HS)
- First-team All-North Bay League selection
- Led Montgomery to three North Coast Section 3A titles
- Plays club soccer for the Santa Rosa United
Carli Castaneda (Forward / Riverside, Calif. / Arlington HS)
- Named a Top-150 Recruit Nationally by Soccer Buzz
- Former pool player with the Under-15 U.S. National Team
- Three-time All-Ivy League first-team selection
- Plays club soccer for the San Diego Surf SC
Taylor Cochran (Midfielder / Lake Stevens, Wash. / Lake Stevens HS)
- Named a Top-75 Recruit Nationally by Soccer Buzz
- Two-time Washington All-State (1st-Team)
- Former Region-IV ODP Team member
- Four-time HS All-Conference (1st-Team)
- Two-time Seattle Times All-Area
- Three-time Everett Herald All-Area
- Plays club soccer for the NWN Fusion
Lisa Jett (Goalkeeper / College Station, TX / A&M Consolidated HS)
- Played varsity soccer for A&M Consolidated High School
- Plays club soccer for The TSC Challenge out of Houston
Nicole Sweetman (Forward / Camarillo, Calif. / Oaks Christian HS)
- Named a Top-50 Recruit Nationally by Soccer Buzz
- ODP Cal South State Team (2003-05)
- Region-IV Team (2003-05)
- U.S. Youth National Team pool player (2003-04)
- Plays for the Eagles Soccer Club
Dana Wall (Midfielder / Scottsdale, Ariz. / Chaparral HS)
- Five Year Member of Arizona's ODP State team
- ODP Region-IV team member (2002-04)
- Sister, April, plays soccer at Stanford
- Plays for the Sereno Soccer Club (Same club as current UCLA player Stephanie Kron)
Elizabeth Zadro (Forward / Huntington Beach, Calif. / Mater Dei HS)
- Pool player with the Cal South ODP State team
- Second-team All-Serra League selection
- Plays club soccer for the Cypress FC