May 17, 2008
LOS ANGELES - The UCLA women's tennis team booked a spot in the NCAA Semifinals for the second year in a row on Saturday, as the seventh-seeded Bruins cruised to a 4-0 victory over Arkansas in a quarterfinal match at Tulsa's Michael D. Case Tennis Center. UCLA (22-5) will meet sixth-seeded Florida on Monday at Noon (CST). The Gators upset No. 3 Georgia Tech, 4-1 on Saturday. The other semifinal features No. 5 Baylor against No. 8 Cal.
"This was a big match for our team," said UCLA head coach Stella Sampras Webster. "We definitely felt like we were expected to win and it was really important for us to get that doubles point. Arkansas is a very strong team and they have had an incredible tournament."
After dropping the doubles point to Arkansas at the USTA/ITA National Team Indoors, UCLA made it a point to get off to a good start on Saturday. The Bruins did just that, claiming the point when top-ranked Tracy Lin and Riza Zalameda took an 8-4 victory over No. 29 Ela Kaluder/Aurelija Miseviciute at the No. 1 spot. UCLA's Elizabeth Lumpkin and Stephanie Wetmore were also victorious, taking an 8-3 win at court No. 2.
UCLA moved out to a quick 3-0 lead in singles following straight-set wins from Lin (court No. 2) and Yasmin Schnack (court No. 3). Freshman Andrea Remynse clinched the victory for the Bruins at court No. 4, taking a 6-2, 6-2 decision over Nanar Airapetian. Remynse is the only Bruin player to win a match in all four of UCLA's tournament victories this season.
The featured match of the day was at court No. 1, where Zalameda, ranked eighth nationally, was taking on top-ranked Miseviciute. After dropping the first set, Zalameda rallied from 1-3 down in the second set to eventually take it 6-3 before play was suspended. At the time of Remynse's win, Alex McGoodwin had two match points at court No. 6, and Lumpkin was down 0-2 in the third set at court No. 5.
UCLA defeated Florida, 4-3 in the quarterfinals of last year's NCAA Tournament.
1. (1) Lin/Zalameda (UCLA) def. (29) Kaluder/Miseviciute (UA) 8-4
2. (56) Lumpkin/Stephanie Wetmore (UCLA) def. Airapetian/Maryori Franco (UA) 8-3
3. McGoodwin/Schnack (UCLA) vs. Bordeleau/Tigu (UA)5-7 Susp.
UCLA Wins Doubles Point -- Order of Finish: 2, 1
1. (8) Riza Zalameda (UCLA) vs. (1) Aurelija Miseviciute (UA) 3-6, 6-3 Susp.
2. (30) Tracy Lin (UCLA) def. (73) Ela Kaluder (UA) 6-2, 6-2
3. (42) Yasmin Schnack (UCLA) def. Anouk Tigu (UA) 6-2, 6-1
4. (54) Andrea Remynse (UCLA) def. Nanar Airapetian (UA) 6-2, 6-2*
5. (105) Elizabeth Lumpkin (UCLA) vs. Audrey Bordeleau (UA) 4-6, 6-1, 0-2 Susp.
6. (124) Alex McGoodwin (UCLA) vs. Delia Damaschin (UA) 7-6(3), 5-0 Susp.
* Denotes Clinching Match -- Order of Finish: 2, 3, 4