Jan. 14, 2011
LOS ANGELES - UCLA's Kylie Wright and Lauren Barnes were both selected in the 2011 Women's Professional Soccer Draft on Friday in Baltimore, Md. Wright was a first-round selection (No. 7 overall) by the Atlanta Beat, while Barnes was a third-round pick (No. 15 overall) by the Philadelphia Independence.
Wright, a midfielder from Rancho Santa Margarita, Calif., was a first-team All-Pac-10 selection in 2010. She started 22 of 23 matches, playing both in the midfield and on defense. She was instrumental on the defensive side of the field, helping the team surrender less than a goal a game (0.84). She also helped the team post nine shutouts. Her lone goal of the year came in a 4-1 victory over Cal State Northridge on Sept. 5. Wright has been involved in the U.S. National Team Program for many years, most recently helping the U-23s to the Four Nations Tournament title in England in 2010.
Barnes, a defender from Upland, Calif., was a third-team NSCAA All-American in 2010. She also earned first-team All-Pac-10 honors, starting 22 of 23 matches. She was a significant contributor on the offensive side of the ball, ranking second on the team in scoring with 16 points (5g, 6a). Her six assists was also a team high. Barnes had game-winning goals in wins over San Diego and Washington State, and also assisted on the game-winning goal in a 2-1 victory over UCF in the second round of the NCAA Tournament. She is a teammate of Wright on the Under-23 U.S. National Team.
Friday's selections bring the total number of UCLA players in the league to eight. Wright joins Kristina Larsen in Atlanta, while Barnes gives Philadelphia its fourth Bruin player. UCLA's other players in the league include: Danesha Adams (Philadelphia Independence), Christina DiMartino (Philadelphia Independence), McCall Zerboni (Western New York Flash) and Valerie Henderson (Philadelphia Independence).
2011 Women's Professional Soccer Draft (Baltimore, Md.)
1. Western New York - Alex Morgan, F, California
2. Philadelphia - Sinead Farrelly, MF, Virginia
3. Washington - Meghan Klingenberg, MF, North Carolina
4. Washington - Christen Press, F, Stanford
5. Philadelphia - Lauren Fowlkes, F, Notre Dame
6. Boston Breakers - Keelin Winters, MF, Portland
7. Atlanta - Kylie Wright, MF, UCLA
8. Western New York - Elli Reed, D, Portland
9. Philadelphia - Jennifer Stoltenberg, F, Oregon
10. Washington - Omolyn Davis, MF, George Mason
11. Philadelphia - Caitlin Farrell, D, Wake Forest
12. Boston - Whitney Palmer, F, Oklahoma
13. Western New York - Rose Augustin, MF, Notre Dame
14. Atlanta - Meghan Lenczyk, F, Virginia
15. Philadelphia - Lauren Barnes, D, UCLA
16. Sky Blue FC - Alyssa Mautz, MF, Texas A&M
17. Washington - Amanda DaCosta, MF, Florida State
18. Philadelphia - Bianca D'Agostino, MF, Wake Forest
19. Boston - Katie Sheeleigh, F, Harvard
20. Western New York - Ashleigh Bowers, GK, Niagara
21. Sky Blue FC - Lauren Alkek, D, Oklahoma
22. Washington - Katie Fraine, GK, Florida
23. Philadelphia - Teresa Rynier, MF, James Madison
24. Boston - Tanya Taylor, F, UC Irvine