March 11, 2013
LONG BEACH, Calif. - The sixth-ranked Bruins fell 5-0 to #4 Florida State in the first match in the history of the UCLA sand volleyball program on Monday at the Long Beach State Campus Courts.
UCLA posted its first-ever set victory in the #2 doubles match, as sophomore Zoë Nightingale and freshman Becca Strehlow took the second set 21-16. However, the duo dropped the first 21-15 and the third in overtime 18-16.
The #1 doubles pairing of juniors Meg Norton and Kelly Reeves also went extra points in their first set, ultimately falling 22-20 and 21-15 in the second. Rounding out the matches were senior Bojana Todorovic and sophomore Megan Moenoa at #3 doubles (21-17, 21-16), sophomore Karsta Lowe and freshman Karly Drolson at #4 (21-12, 21-11) and freshmen Rachel Inouye and Maddy Klineman (21-7, 21-13).
The Bruins will next head to USC for a two-day event at Merle Norman Stadium this weekend on the Southern California campus. On Saturday, UCLA faces Loyola Marymount at 1 p.m. and USC at 3 p.m. Then on Sunday, bracket play begins at 9 a.m.
#4 Florida State 5, #6 UCLA 0
1) Davis-Yildirim, FSU def. Norton-Reeves, UCLA 22-20, 21-15
2) Pavels-Plessy, FSU def. Strehlow-Nightingale, UCLA 21-15, 16-21, 18-16
3) Pardon-Milosavljevic, FSU def. Todorovic-Moenoa, UCLA 21-17, 21-16
4) Brown-Wickstrom, FSU def. Lowe-Drolson, UCLA 21-12, 21-11
5) K.Pellitteri-S.Pellitteri, FSU def. Klineman-Inouye, UCLA 21-7, 21-13