Feb. 1, 2009
LOS ANGELES - The third-ranked UCLA women's tennis team earned one of the 16 spots in the ITA National Team Indoor Championships later this month, defeating No. 24 LSU, 4-1 on Sunday in a qualifying match at the Los Angeles Tennis Center.
With UCLA (3-0) leading the match 3-1, freshman Carling Seguso clinched the victory for the Bruins at court No. 5, battling back from a set down to come back and defeat Hannah Robinson, 6-7(3), 6-2, 6-1. Prior to that win, the Bruins received straight-set singles victories from Yasmin Schnack (court No. 2) and Stephanie Wetmore (court No. 6).
Seguso's victory was key for the Bruins, who were engaged in tight battles at court Nos. 1 and 4. Sophomore Andrea Remynse, ranked No. 31 nationally, was holding her own against fifth-ranked Megan Falcon at the No. 1 singles court, as she won the first set 6-4 but was trailing 3-4 in the second. Senior Ashley Joelson was down 2-1 in the third set against Nicole Kantor at court No. 4.
The doubles point was clinched Sunday when UCLA's No. 3 tandem of Maya Johansson and Wetmore downed Kantor/Staten Spencer, 8-6. Joelson and Seguso won the Bruins' other doubles match 8-1 at court No. 2.
UCLA next travels to Pepperdine on Wednesday, Feb. 4 at 1:30 p.m. That match is a makeup for the Jan. 23 showdown that was postponed due to rain.
#3 UCLA def. #24 LSU, 4-1
ITA National Team Indoor Qualifying
February 1, 2009 - Los Angeles Tennis Center
1. Remynse/Schnack (UCLA) led (17) Falcon/Hedberg (LSU) - 7-5 Susp.
2. Joelson/Seguso (UCLA) def. Robinson/Wolf (LSU) - 8-1
3. (39) Johansson/Wetmore (UCLA) def. Kantor/Spencer (LSU) - 8-6
UCLA Wins Doubles Point - Order of Finish: 2,3
1. (31) Andrea Remynse (UCLA) led (5) Megan Falcon (LSU) - 6-4, 3-4 Susp.
2. (106) Yasmin Schnack (UCLA) def. Mykala Hedberg (LSU) - 6-1, 6-1
3. Whitney Wolf (LSU) def. (63) Maya Johansson (UCLA) - 6-3, 6-4
4. Nicole Kantor (LSU) led Ashley Joelson (UCLA) - 2-6, 7-5, 2-1 Susp.
5. Carling Seguso (UCLA) def. Hannah Robinson (LSU) - 6-7(3), 6-2, 6-1*
6. Stephanie Wetmore (UCLA) def. Staten Spencer (LSU) - 6-2, 6-1
* Denotes Clinching Match - Order of Finish: 2, 6, 3, 5