May 11, 2002
Los Angeles ? The San Diego State men's tennis team advanced to the second round of the NCAA Tournament Saturday, defeating Hampton, 4-0 in first round regional action at UCLA's Los Angeles Tennis Center. With the victory, SDSU (18-8) moves on to Sunday's second round and will face the winner of this afternoon's match between fourth-seeded UCLA and UC Santa Barbara. Hampton finishes it's 2002 campaign with a 15-7 overall record.
After taking the doubles point, the Aztecs went ahead 3-0 following singles victories from Ryan Redondo at the No. 5 spot and Felix Hardt at the No. 3 position. Valentino Pest then clinched the match for Aztecs at the No. 2 slot where he defeated Glauco Nascimento, 6-4, 6-3.
Tomorrows regional final begins at Noon.
1. (3) Maiberger/Redondo (SDSU) def. Ibler/Lee (Hampton) 8-5
2. Hardt/Pest (SDSU) def. Casadei/Nascimento (Hampton) 8-3
3. Coren/Hasson (SDSU) vs. Paiva/Rezac (Hampton) Susp.
SDSU Wins Doubles Point
1. (26) Olivier Maiberger (SDSU) vs. Pyung Koo Lee (Hampton) Susp.
2. Valentino Pest (SDSU) def. Tomas Ibler (Hampton) 6-4, 6-3*
3. (52) Felix Hardt (SDSU) def. Glauco Nascimento (Hampton) 6-1, 6-1
4. Travis Hasson (SDSU) vs. Amine Elouazzani (Hampton) Susp.
5. Ryan Redondo (SDSU) def. Ladislav Rezac (Hampton) 6-3, 6-1
6. Gabe Coren (SDSU) vs. Valter Paiva (Hampton) Susp.
* Denotes Clinching Match