May 10, 2002
Los Angeles ? The No. 23-ranked Washington Huskies won the doubles point then took three singles matches in straight sets Friday, defeating Loyola Marymount, 4-0 in a first-round match at the NCAA Tennis Regionals at UCLA. With the victory, the Huskies advance to take on the winner of the UCLA/Southern match played later this afternoon.
After taking victories on court Nos. 1 and 3 to claim the one point awarded for doubles play, Washington (14-10) received singles victories from Ilona Kordonskaya, Dea Sumantri and Colleen Gray. It was Gray?s 6-2, 6-1 victory over LMU?s Julie Hladik at No. 5 singles that clinched the match for Washington.
With the loss, LMU finishes its season with a 14-11 overall record.
1. Carter/Klaic (UW) def. Lord/Zdorovytska (LMU) 9-7
2. Gray/Sumantri (UW) vs. Hladik/Pakay (LMU) Susp.
3. Kordonskaya/Hoe (UW) def. Fileva/Jessica Palencia (LMU) 8-3
Washington Wins Doubles Point
1. Claire Carter (UW) vs. Edit Pakay (LMU) Susp.
2. Darija Klaic (UW) vs. Andrea Lord (LMU) Susp.
3. Ilona Kordonskaya (UW) def. Penka Fileva (LMU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Dea Sumantri (UW) def. Angelina Zdorovytska (LMU) 6-0, 6-2
5. Colleen Gray (UW) def. Julie Hladik (LMU) 6-2, 6-1*
6. Erin Hoe (UW) vs. Georgina Dinham (LMU) Susp.
* Denotes Clinching Match