Feb. 9, 2002
Los Angeles - The No. 3 ranked UCLA men's tennis team, coming off a stunning quarterfinal loss to No. 12 USC on Thursday, bounced back to defeat No. 9 Duke, 4-1 Saturday in a consolation match at the USTA/ITA National Team Indoors in Louisville, Ky.
The Bruins started the day by winning two of three doubles matches,taking victories on court Nos. 2 and 3.
After winning the doubles point, UCLA needed only three singles victories to win the match. Jean-Julien Rojer, Rodrigo Grilli and Lassi Ketola all were victorious Saturday, helping UCLA improve to 8-1 on the year.
UCLA and Duke will face off again on Mar. 13 when the Blue Devils travel to Los Angeles for a 1:30 p.m. match at the LATC.
No. 3 UCLA 4, No. 9 Duke 1
1 Tobias Clemens (UCLA) vs. Phillip King, DNF
2. Jean-Julien Rojer (UCLA) d. Joel Spicher, 6-3, 7-5
3. Rodrigo Grilli (UCLA) d. Michael Yani, 6-3, 6-3
4. Jason Zimmerman (Duke) d. Erfan Djahangiri, 6-2, 7-5
5. Lassi Ketola (UCLA) d. Peter Shults, 7-6, (2), 7-6 (1)
6. Alberto Francis (UCLA) vs. Yorke Allen, DNF
1. Matkowski/Rojer (UCLA) vs. King/Yani, DNF
2. Clemens/Ketola (UCLA) d. Allen/Spicher (UCLA), 8-5
3. Francis/Grilli (UCLA) d. Shults/Zimmerman, 8-3