March 24, 2009
LOS ANGELES - Playing its first match in nearly two weeks, the No. 11 UCLA men's tennis team looked sharp in a non-conference showdown against UC Irvine on Tuesday, posting a 7-0 victory at the Los Angeles Tennis Center. The win was a good tune-up for the Bruins (10-4), who travel up to the Bay Area this weekend to open up the Pac-10 season against No. 4 Stanford and Cal.
UCLA secured the doubles point on Tuesday when 58th-ranked Haythem Abid and Nick Meister defeated UC Irvine's Khunpol Issara/Wes Miller at court No. 1. That win was preceded by an 8-4 victory from Amit Inbar and Harel Srugo at court No. 3.
The Bruins then won five of six singles matches in straight sets, as wins by Inbar (court No. 5), Michael Look (court No. 3) and Holden Seguso (court No. 2) quickly gave UCLA a 4-0 advantage. Abid (court No. 1) and Meister (court No. 4) also registered routine wins on Tuesday.
The only match to go longer than two sets came at court No. 6, where Ahmed Ismail recovered from a first-set loss to come back and defeat Stephen Stege, 4-6, 6-1, (10-6).
UCLA's much-anticipated showdown with Stanford this Friday is scheduled to begin at 1:30 p.m. at Stanford's Taube Tennis Center.
1. (58) Abid/Meister (UCLA) def. Issara/Miller (UCI) - 8-5
2. Jon Kazarian/Zac Tsai (UCI) def. Matt Brooklyn/Look (UCLA) - 8-7(3)
3. Inbar/Harel Srugo (UCLA) def. Henderson/Gautam Vaidyanathan (UCI) - 8-4
UCLA Wins Doubles Point - Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
1. (51) Haythem Abid (UCLA) def. Steven Henderson (UCI) - 6-3, 6-3
2. (125) Holden Seguso (UCLA) def. Fabian Matthews (UCI) - 6-4, 6-1*
3. (74) Michael Look (UCLA) def. Wes Miller (UCI) - 6-3, 6-2
4. (103) Nick Meister (UCLA) def. Sam Gould (UCI) - 6-0, 6-2
5. Amit Inbar (UCLA) def. Khunpol Issara (UCI) - 6-0, 6-2
6. Ahmed Ismail (UCLA) def. Stephen Stege (UCI) - 4-6, 6-1, (10-6)
* Denotes Clinching Match -- Order of Finish: 5, 3, 2, 4, 1, 6