April 3, 2009
SEATTLE - The No. 12 UCLA women's tennis team snapped its three-match losing streak on Friday, posting a 5-2 road win over Washington in Seattle. The Bruins, who even their Pac-10 record to 2-2, move to 14-5 on the season. With the loss, the Huskies fall to 12-5 overall and 1-4 in conference play.
UCLA actually lost the doubles point on Friday after the Huskies managed to pull off a big upset at court No. 1. Washington struck first with an 8-6 win at court No. 2, followed by an 8-4 UCLA win at court No. 3. The point came down to the top court, where Joyce Ardies and Denise Dy upset UCLA's second-ranked Andrea Remynse/Yasmin Schnack, 8-6.
Despite the early setback, the Bruins came out strong in singles, winning the first set of five of six courts. Sophomore Maya Johansson tied things up almost immediately, as she lost just one game in a 6-1, 6-0 victory over Samantha Smith at court No. 3. Both teams then traded wins, as Venise Chan upset Schnack, 6-3, 7-6(0) at court No. 1, and Bruin freshman Nina Pantic took a 7-6(4), 6-1 victory over Lina Xu at court No. 4.
With the dual match tied 2-2 and things just about to get interesting, the Bruins took control of the match, taking victories on the remaining three courts to win the contest 5-2. After Ashley Joelson took a three-set win over Ardies at court No. 5, the match was clinched at the No. 2 position, where Remynse downed Dy, 7-6(6), 6-1. Bruin freshman Carling Seguso was also a winner on Friday, defeating Aleksandra Malovic, 6-3, 4-6, 6-4 at court No. 6.
UCLA returns to action tomorrow, facing Washington State in Pullman, Wash. beginning at 10:30 a.m.
1. Ardies/Dy (UW) def. (2) Remynse/Schnack (UCLA) - 8-6
2. Chan/Malovic (UW) def. (30) Seguso/ Stephanie Wetmore (UCLA) - 8-6
3. Joelson/Johansson (UCLA) def. Smith/Xu (UW) - 8-4
Washington Wins Doubles Point - Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1
1. (24) Venise Chan (UW) def. (16) Yasmin Schnack (UCLA) - 6-3, 7-6(0)
2. (45) Andrea Remynse (UCLA) def. (78) Denise Dy (UW) - 7-6(6), 6-1*
3. (90) Maya Johansson (UCLA) def. Samantha Smith (UW) - 6-1, 6-0
4. Nina Pantic (UCLA) def. Lina Xu (UW) - 7-6(4), 6-1
5. Ashley Joelson (UCLA) def. Joyce Ardies (UW) - 6-2, 3-6, 6-2
6. Carling Seguso (UCLA) def. Aleksandra Malovic (UW) - 6-3, 4-6, 6-4
* Denotes Clinching Match -- Order of Finish: 3, 1, 4, 5, 2, 6