Don't have an account? Click Here

Derek Freeman's Blog from the 2010 Ryder Cup
Courtesy: UCLA Athletics  
Release:  10/01/2010

Oct. 1, 2010

Day 3, Oct.1

The weather decided to show us a fall day for Wales. It was very windy with a heavy rain that started last night and did not finish until mid afternoon. I was quite surprised that the matches began because there was standing water everywhere on the golf course before the competition began. However, many felt that the Europeans could get a quick lead with the conditions being so tough. They did just that, winning several of the first holes in a couple of the matches. After two hours, play was suspended. It probably was a good thing for the Americans. We looked a little shaky in the beginning. There is not a more incredible feeling than the cheers on the first tee of the Ryder Cup. No matter how bad the weather, it is electric. Captain Pavin was very thankful to have all the Americans try to sound as loud as the English. We are small in numbers, but strong in might. It seems like maybe a couple of thousand Americans came over to cheer on the U.S. Team.

I went with the first group of Mickelson and Johnson to follow the long hitters. It did not take long to watch Westwood and Kaymer to get up on the Americans. I had just walked to get ahead of the crowds to be on the seventh tee when they suspended play. Since I was all the way out there, I thought I would wait it out. After seven hours, two fish and chips baskets and two hot chocolates, play was resumed. The entire course became a mud pit. It was ankle deep, but no one seemed to mind. Trailing in three of the four matches before the delay; it could not have come at a better time.

When play resumed at 5 p.m. local time, there was a very light breeze and no rain. After the Americans got the motor going, they played very well. The USA finished the day ahead in two matches, all-square in one match, and down in the fourth. Tomorrow morning will make a huge difference in what happens with the Cup. Whichever team is up going into the afternoon, will have the momentum. Since the delay today they are going to change the matches.

Rather than send out four foursomes matches in Session Two and four ball matches in Session Three, all 12 players on each team will play in each of the final three sessions. As soon as the opening fourball session concludes (some time Saturday morning), the next session will be six foursome matches instead of four. That will be followed by two more foursome matches (for a grand total of eight) going out at the same time as four more fourball matches.

Once all of that is complete (very likely sometime Sunday morning), the 12 singles will begin. It is confusing, but they are just trying to get as much golf as can be played before Sunday afternoon. Let's go USA. Time to get going! Talk about branding...all I heard about was my cool UCLA hat. Most of the players came over and shook my hand or gave me a high five. It really makes you look cool when the Captain comes over to you.

All the best from Room 222.

Go USA! Go Bruins!


‹ UCLA Men's Golf

UCLA 2015 Coach's Polo - Blue 
Price: $65.00