May 10, 2008
LOS ANGELES - The seventh-seeded UCLA women's tennis team earned a spot in the NCAA Round of 16 on Saturday, taking a 4-0 victory over Denver in a second-round match at the Los Angeles Tennis Center. UCLA (20-5) is scheduled to face 10th-seeded USC (19-7) on Thursday in Tulsa, Okla. The Women of Troy advanced to the round of 16 with a 4-0 victory over Pepperdine on Saturday.
Similar to its win over Buffalo in the first round, the Bruins began the day by winning the doubles point following a pair of wins at court Nos. 2 and 3. Elizabeth Lumpkin and Stephanie Wetmore clinched the point for UCLA at the No. 2 spot, taking an 8-6 victory over Kyla Iwinski/Ute Schnoy.
Freshman Andrea Remynse was the first Bruin to finish in singles, as the freshman lost just two games en route to a 6-1, 6-1 win over Julia Bauregger at court No. 4. Eight-ranked Riza Zalameda made the score 3-0 in favor of UCLA, as she also lost just two games in a 6-2, 6-0 win over 70th-ranked Mallory Voelker at court No. 1.
Senior Alex McGoodwin clinched the win for UCLA in her final match at the Los Angeles Tennis Center, registering a 6-2, 6-4 win over Bhavani Tirumurti at court No. 6.
Yasmin Schnack and Lumpkin were both on the verge of winning their matches at court Nos. 3 and 5 when play was suspended. Tracy Lin had lost the first set to Annette Aksdal at court No. 2, but was up 5-2 in the second set.
The Bruins have already beaten The Women of Troy twice this season, winning 6-1 on March 13 at USC and 5-2 on April 18 at UCLA.
1. (1) Lin/Zalameda (UCLA) led (43) Bauregger/Voelker (DU) 7-5 Susp.
2. Lumpkin/Stephanie Wetmore (UCLA) def. Iwinski/Schnoy (DU) 8-6
3. McGoodwin/Schnack (UCLA) def. Aksdal/Tirumurti (DU) 8-2
UCLA Wins Doubles Point -- Order of Finish: 3, 2
1. (8) Riza Zalameda (UCLA) def. (70) Mallory Voelker (DU) 6-2, 6-0
2. Annette Aksdal (DU) led (30) Tracy Lin (UCLA) 6-2, 2-5 Susp.
3. (42) Yasmin Schnack (UCLA) led Ute Schnoy (DU) 6-1, 5-3 Susp.
4. (54) Andrea Remynse (UCLA) def. Julia Bauregger (DU) 6-1, 6-1
5. (105) Elizabeth Lumpkin (UCLA) led Kyla Iwinski (DU) 6-2, 4-3 Susp.
6. (124) Alex McGoodwin (UCLA) def. Bhavani Tirumurti (DU) 6-2, 6-4*
* Denotes Clinching Match -- Order of Finish: 4, 1, 6