Feb. 22, 2009
Waco, Texas - It what has turned out to be one of the hottest rivalries in all of college tennis, the sixth-ranked UCLA men's tennis team dropped a close 4-3 decision to No. 12 Baylor on Sunday afternoon at the Baylor Tennis Center.
The Bruins (6-3) dropped the doubles point Sunday after suffering losses at court Nos. 2 and 3. After UCLA's Haythem Abid and Amit Inbar took an 8-5 win at court No. 1, Baylor stormed back to win the final two matches, clinching it when Denes Lukacs and Maros Horny downed Michael Look and Nick Meister, 8-5 at court No. 3.
Look would avenge his doubles loss once singles began, as he was first to finish at court No. 3, downing Julian Bley, 6-0, 6-4. Baylor, however, would take the next two matches and move out to a 3-1 lead when Lukacs (court No. 1) and Attila Bucko (court No. 5) each posted straight-set wins.
UCLA eventually battled back to tie the match at 3-3, as Ahmed Ismail downed Horny, 6-4, 6-4 at court No. 6, and Meister dispatched of Dominik Mueller, 7-6(5), 6-4 at court No. 4.
With things all tied up, focus then turned to court No. 2, where Baylor's Jordan Rux and UCLA's Matt Brooklyn were in a three-set battle. Rux, who lost the first set 6-3, would eventually storm back to win the next two sets 6-1, 6-1, giving Baylor the 4-3 upset.
The Bruins and Bears have developed quite a rivalry in recent years, with both teams winning national championships after beating the other in the final. Baylor's title came in 2004, as the Bears defeated UCLA, 4-0 in the final match in Tulsa, Okla. The Bruins' championship came the following season, as UCLA defeated Baylor, 4-3 in a dramatic final in College Station, Texas. The two teams have met four more times since the 2005 NCAA Final, and all four meetings have been 4-3 decisions, with Baylor winning in 2006, 2008 and 2009. UCLA's 4-3 win came in 2007. Baylor leads the all-time series 5-2.
UCLA returns home next week, hosting No. 23 Cal on Friday at 1:30 p.m., and No. 7 Stanford on Saturday at 1:00 p.m.
1. Abid/Inbar (UCLA) def. David Galic/Rux (BU) - 8-5
2. Marc Bruche/Bucko (BU) def. Eugen Brazdil/Brooklyn (UCLA) - 8-5
3. Lukacs/Horny (BU) def. Look/Meister (UCLA) - 8-4
Baylor Wins Doubles Point -- Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
1. #10 Denes Lukacs (BU) def. #74 Haythem Abid (UCLA) - 7-5, 6-3
2. #38 Jordan Rux (BU) def. #52 Matt Brooklyn (UCLA) - 3-6, 6-1, 6-1*
3. #93 Michael Look (UCLA) def. #121 Julian Bley (BU) - 6-0, 6-4
4. Nick Meister (UCLA) def. Dominik Mueller (BU) - 7-6(5), 6-4
5. Attila Bucko (BU) def. Amit Inbar (UCLA) - 6-4, 7-6(3)
6. Ahmed Ismail (UCLA) def. Maros Horny (BU) - 6-4, 6-4
* Denotes Clinching Match -- Order of Finish: 3, 1, 5, 6, 4, 2