Feb. 25, 2009
LOS ANGELES - The No. 8 UCLA women's tennis team posted its second victory of the year over Pepperdine on Wednesday, earning a 4-3 win at the Los Angeles Tennis Center. The Bruins, who also defeated the Waves, 5-2 back on Feb. 7 in Malibu, move to 8-2 on the season. With the loss, Pepperdine falls to 4-5 overall.
The Bruins were led by junior Yasmin Schnack and freshman Carling Seguso, as the two players each won their respective singles and doubles matches Wednesday. UCLA captured the doubles point when Schnack and partner Andrea Remynse posted an 8-4 victory over Jill Braverman/Alexandria Walters at court No. 1. Prior to that, Seguso teamed with Stephanie Wetmore at court No. 3, cruising to an 8-1 win over Zlatka Petrova/Tania Rice.
In singles, Schnack (court No. 1) and Ashely Joelson (court No. 3) would give the Bruins a 3-0 lead after both players posted straight-set wins. After Pepperdine took a straight-set win of its own at court No. 5, Seguso clinched the match for UCLA at the No. 4 spot, recording a 7-6(1), 6-4 victory over Anne-Christine Voicu to give the Bruins a 4-1 lead.
With the dual already decided, Pepperdine took the final two matches of the day, with Andrea Oates winning 6-2, 7-6(5) over Wetmore at court No. 6, and Braverman winning 6-4, 5-7, (10-7) over Maya Johansson at court No. 2.
UCLA returns to action tomorrow, hosting No. 15 Fresno State at 11:00 a.m.
1. (6) Andrea Remynse/Schnack (UCLA) def. Braverman/Walters (PEP) - 8-4
2. Bhargava/Liles (PEP) def. Joelson/Johansson (UCLA) - 7-6(5)
3. Seguso/Wetmore (UCLA) def. Zlatka Petrova/Tania Rice (PEP) - 8-1
UCLA Wins Doubles Point - Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
1. (37) Yasmin Schnack (UCLA) def. Anamika Bhargava (PEP) - 6-3, 6-4
2. Jill Braverman (PEP) def. (68) Maya Johansson (UCLA) - 6-4, 5-7, (10-7)
3. Ashley Joelson (UCLA) def. Alexandria Walters (PEP) - 6-2, 6-3
4. Carling Seguso (UCLA) def. Anne-Christine Voicu (PEP) - 7-6(1), 6-4*
5. Alex Liles (PEP) def. Anna-Viktoria Lind (UCLA) - 6-3, 6-3
6. Andrea Oates (PEP) def. Stephanie Wetmore (UCLA) - 6-2, 7-6(5)
* Denotes Clinching Match -- Order of Finish: 1, 3, 5, 4, 6, 2