Feb. 20, 2009
LOS ANGELES - The eighth-ranked UCLA women's tennis team picked up its second non-conference win in as many days, registering a 6-1 victory over Hawai'i at the Los Angeles Tennis Center on Friday.
The Bruins (7-2) easily captured the doubles point Friday, posting a pair of convincing wins at court Nos. 1 and 3. The point was clinched at the No. 1 spot, where sixth-ranked Andrea Remynse and Yasmin Schnack downed Anja-Vanessa Peter/Melinda Wong, 8-2. With the point already decided, UCLA's Ashley Joelson and Maya Johansson pulled out a close 8-7(7) victory at court No. 2, fighting off a match point in the tiebreaker against Sophie Kobuch/Aglae Van den Bergh.
UCLA quickly took the first set on all six courts once singles play began. Junior Stephanie Wetmore was first to finish at court No. 5, losing just three games en route to a 6-1, 6-2 victory over Alyssa Nafarrete. Johansson and Schnack each followed with straight-set wins, as the Bruins moved out to a 4-0 lead, clinching it with Schnack's 6-2, 6-2 victory over Kobuch at court No. 1.
Anna-Viktoria Lind (court No. 6) and Joelson (court No. 3) were also straight-set winners Friday. Hawaii's lone point came at court No. 4, where Bruin freshman Carling Seguso was forced to retire after splitting sets with Wong.
Next up for UCLA is a home match against Pepperdine next Wednesday at 1:30 p.m. The Bruins already defeated the Waves once this season, recording a 5-2 victory on Jan. 23 in Malibu, Calif.
1. (6) Andrea Remynse/Schnack (UCLA) def. Peter/Wong (UH) - 8-2
2. Joelson/Johansson (UCLA) def. Kobuch/Van den Bergh (UH) - 8-7(7)
3. Seguso/Wetmore (UCLA) def. Nafarrete/Zorec (UH) - 8-1
UCLA Wins Doubles Point - Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
1. (37) Yasmin Schnack (UCLA) def. Sophie Kobuch (UH) - 6-2, 6-2*
2. (68) Maya Johansson (UCLA) def. Natasha Zorec (UH) - 6-1, 6-1
3. Ashley Joelson (UCLA) def. Anja-Vanessa Peter (UH) - 6-3, 7-5
4. Melinda Wong (UH) def. Carling Seguso (UCLA) - 0-6, 6-3 Ret.
5. Stephanie Wetmore (UCLA) def. Alyssa Nafarrete (UH) - 6-1, 6-2
6. Anna-Viktoria Lind (UCLA) def. Aglae Van den Bergh (UH) - 6-1, 6-1
* Denotes Clinching Match -- Order of Finish: 5, 2, 1, 4, 6, 3