Feb. 26, 2009
LOS ANGELES - UCLA's Andrea Remynse and Yasmin Schnack knocked off the nation's No. 1-ranked doubles team on Thursday, helping the eighth-ranked Bruin women's tennis team to a 6-1 victory over No. 15 Fresno State at the Los Angeles Tennis Center.
With two teams ranked in the top 15 in the country in doubles, Fresno State (3-4) looked to be the favorite to take the doubles point on Thursday. UCLA, however, had different plans and it was the Bruins who took two straight wins to earn the point. After Carling Seguso and Stephanie Wetmore notched an 8-6 victory at court No. 3, Remynse and Schnack clinched the point for UCLA with an 8-5 win over top-ranked Renata Kucerkova/Anastasia Petukhova at court No. 1. Although it marked a win over the No. 1 team in the nation, it was only a slight upset for Remynse and Schack, who are ranked No. 6 nationally themselves.
With the doubles point in hand, UCLA (9-2) cruised in singles play, posting five consecutive wins to take a 6-0 lead in the match. Remynse and Schnack followed up their doubles upset with a pair of individual upsets in singles, as both players posted straight set wins over higher-ranked opponents. Schnack, ranked No. 37 nationally, lost just three games en route to a 6-0, 6-3 victory over No. 17 Melanie Gloria at court No. 1. Remynse, ranked just one spot above Schnack at No. 36, dispatched of No. 21 Petukhova, 6-3, 7-6(3) at court No. 2.
Maya Johansson (court No. 3), Seguso (court No. 5) and Wetmore (court No. 6) were also singles winners Thursday. Fresno State's lone point came at court No. 4, where Tinesta Rowe outlasted Bruin senior Ashley Joelson, 6-4, 3-6, (10-2).
Next up for UCLA is a match at Cal State Fullerton this Saturday at 1:00 p.m. The contest was recently added to the schedule and will take the place of the UC Irvine match that was canceled in early February due to rain.
1. (6) Remynse/Schnack (UCLA) def. (1) Kucerkova/Petukhova (FSU) - 8-5
2. (14) Gloria/Rowe (FSU) def. Joelson/Johansson (UCLA) - 7-4 Ret.
3. Seguso/Wetmore (UCLA) def. Danon Beatty/Pola (FSU) - 8-6
UCLA Wins Doubles Point - Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
1. (37) Yasmin Schnack (UCLA) def. (17) Melanie Gloria (FSU) - 6-0, 6-3
2. (36) Andrea Remynse (UCLA) def. (21) Anastasia Petukhova (FSU) - 6-3, 7-6(3)
3. (68) Maya Johansson (UCLA) def. (79) Renata Kucerkova (FSU) - 6-4, 6-3*
4. Tinesta Rowe (FSU) def. Ashley Joelson (UCLA) - 6-4, 3-6, (10-2)
5. Carling Seguso (UCLA) def. Laura Pola (FSU) - 6-4, 6-3
6. Stephanie Wetmore (UCLA) def. Bruna Paes (FSU) - 6-7(3), 6-3, (10-7)
* Denotes Clinching Match -- Order of Finish: 1, 5, 3, 2, 6, 4