Feb. 14, 2009
CHICAGO - The No. 4 UCLA men's tennis team lost a close one at the ITA National Team Indoors on Saturday, falling 4-3 to No. 5 Virginia in a quarterfinal showdown at the Midtown Tennis Club.
Unlike its previous three matches, the Bruins won the doubles point Saturday, taking wins at court Nos. 2 and 3. The point was clinched at the No. 3 spot when Michael Look and Nick Meister took an 8-5 win over Drew Courtney/Lee Singer.
Look and Meister carried the Bruins in singles as well, as the two players accounted for the team's two singles wins Saturday. Unfortunately, UCLA needed three singles wins to clinch the match.
With the score tied at 3-3, the dual match came down to court No. 2 and a showdown between UCLA's Matt Brooklyn and Virginia's Sanam Singh. Despite losing the first set, Singh came back for a 2-6, 6-4, 6-1 win to give the Cavaliers the 4-3 win.
UCLA rounds out competition at the ITA National Team Indoors on Sunday, facing top-ranked Ohio State in a consolation match at 4:30 p.m. (PST).
#5 Virginia 4, #4 UCLA 3
ITA National Team Indoor Championships - Quarterfinals
February 14, 2009 - Chicago (Midtown Tennis Club)
1. Abid/Inbar (UCLA) vs. #3 Singh/Barrick (UVA) - 7-7 Susp.
2. Brooklyn/Srugo (UCLA) def. #27 Inglot/Shabaz (UVA) - 8-4
3. Meister/Look (UCLA) def. Courtney/Lee Singer (UVA) - 8-5
UCLA Wins Doubles Point -- Order of Finish: 3,2
1. #43 Dominic Inglot (UVA) def. Haythem Abid (UCLA) - 6-2, 7-5
2. #24 Sanam Singh (UVA) def. #67 Matt Brooklyn (UCLA) - 2-6, 6-4, 6-1*
3. #11 Michael Shabaz (UVA) def. Harel Srugo (UCLA) - 2-6, 6-3, 6-3
4. Michael Look (UCLA) def. #68 Houston Barrick (UVA) - 7-5, 6-3
5. #78 Nick Meister (UCLA) def. Steven Rooda (UVA) - 6-2, 7-5
6. #108 Drew Courtney (UVA) def. Amit Inbar (UCLA) - 6-3, 6-4
Order of finish: 1,6,5,3,4,2 -- *Denotes Clinching Match