April 13, 2009
Malibu, Calif. - With its biggest match of the season looming later this week, the ninth-ranked UCLA men's tennis team was able to stay focused on No. 17 Pepperdine on Monday, registering a 5-2 victory over the Waves at the Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center. The Bruins, who will face No. 6 USC on Friday to determine this year's Pac-10 Champion, improve to 16-4 on the season. With the loss, the Waves fall to 16-9.
UCLA's ninth straight victory began in doubles play, as the Bruins swept all three matches to take the point. The biggest win came at court No. 1, where Michael Look and Nick Meister upset 10th-ranked Omar Altmann/Bassam Beidas, 9-8(4).
In singles, UCLA got a strong showing from the bottom half of the lineup, as Ahmed Ismail (court No. 6), Amit Inbar (court No. 5) and Meister (court No. 4) all posted straight-set wins to give the Bruins a 4-0 lead. Meister clinched it with a 6-1, 6-4 victory over Mahmoud Kamel.
Junior Matt Brooklyn picked up the first win of his career at the No. 1 position on Monday, upsetting 32nd-ranked Beidas, 3-6, 7-5, (10-6). Brooklyn is listed at No. 95 in the latest Campbell's/ITA Singles Rankings.
UCLA's match with USC this Friday will begin at 3:00 p.m. at the Los Angeles Tennis Center. Both teams enter the final match of the regular season with identical 5-0 records in conference play. The winner will be crowned the 2009 Pac-10 Champion and will earn the automatic bid to this year's NCAA Tournament.
1. Look/Meister (UCLA) def. (10) Altmann/Beidas (PEP) - 9-8 (4)
2. Matt Brooklyn/Amit Inbar (UCLA) def. Clarke/Kamel (PEP) - 8-5
3. Eugen Brazdil/Seguso (UCLA) def. Stuart Keplar/Llompart (PEP) - 8-6
UCLA Wins Doubles Point -- Order of Finish: 3,2,1
1. (95) Matt Brooklyn (UCLA) def. (32) Bassam Beidas (PEP) - 3-6, 7-5, 10-6
2. (43) Omar Altmann (PEP) def. Holden Seguso (UCLA) - 4-6, 6-2, 6-4
3. Alex Llompart (PEP) def. (119) Michael Look (UCLA) - 6-3, 3-6, 12-10
4. (114) Nick Meister (UCLA) def. Mahmoud Kamel (PEP) - 6-1, 6-4*
5. Amit Inbar (UCLA) def. Hugh Clarke (PEP) - 6-3, 6-4
6. Ahmed Ismail (UCLA) def. Alex Moreno (PEP) - 6-3, 6-1
* Denotes Clinching Match -- Order of Finish: 6,5,4,3,2,1