May 12, 2007
LOS ANGELES - The No. 12 seeded UCLA women's tennis team was nearly flawless in its 2007 NCAA Tournament opener on Saturday, posting a 4-0 first round victory over Quinnipiac at the Los Angeles Tennis Center. Next up for the Bruins (17-7) is a second round meeting with Florida State (16-7) on Sunday at 1:00 p.m. The Seminoles recorded a 4-0 decision against San Diego State earlier in the day.
UCLA began the afternoon by taking the doubles point following a pair of 8-0 decisions at court Nos. 1 and 3. The Bruins were leading 6-1 at court No. 2 when play was stopped.
The Bruins continued to dominate once singles play began, taking three 6-0, 6-0 decisions on the back three courts. Alex McGoodwin, Elizabeth Lumpkin and Anna-Viktoria Lind were the singles winners for UCLA. Riza Zalameda (court #1), Tracy Lin (court #2) and Yasmin Schnack (court #3) were all leading comfortably when play was suspended.
Sunday's second round winner advances to next week's NCAA Round of 16 in Athens, Ga.
1. (19) Schnack/Zalameda (UCLA) def. Pasternak/Wilson (QU) - 8-0
2. (53) Ashley Joelson/McGoodwin (UCLA) led Herb/Petruzzi (QU) - 6-1 Susp.
3. (41) Lumpkin/Stephanie Wetmore (UCLA) def. Nicole Adams/Rodriguez (QU) - 8-0
UCLA wins doubles point --- Order of finish: 1, 3
1. (15) Riza Zalameda (UCLA) led Gabby Pasternak (QU) - 6-2, 2-2 Susp.
2. (40) Tracy Lin (UCLA) led Mary Wilson (QU) - 6-1, 2-1 Susp.
3. (56) Yasmin Schnack (UCLA) led Jackie Herb (QU) - 6-0, 3-0 Susp.
4. Alex McGoodwin (UCLA) def. Amanda Petruzzi (QU) - 6-0, 6-0
5. Elizabeth Lumpkin (UCLA) def. Danielle Rodriguez (QU) - 6-0, 6-0
6. Anna-Viktoria Lind (UCLA) def. Shawna Sarson (QU) - 6-0, 6-0*
Order of finish: 4, 5, 6 --- * Denotes Clinching Match