Feb. 24, 2008
Tempe, Ariz. - A shorthanded UCLA women's tennis team suffered just its second loss of the season on Sunday, as the seventh-ranked Bruins dropped a 4-3 decision to No. 18 Arizona State at the Whiteman Tennis Center.
UCLA (8-2) playing without regulars Yasmin Schnack and Alex McGoodwin, were swept in doubles for the first time this season. Arizona State clinched the point at court No. 2, as Jessica Leitch and Wendy Pilecka defeated UCLA's Elizabeth Lumpkin/Stephanie Wetmore, 8-6.
Despite the setback in doubles, UCLA looked like it was going to cruise to a relatively easy win after singles began, as the Bruins won three straight matches to take a 3-1 lead. Ashley Joelson got things started for the Bruins, cruising to a 6-1, 6-2 win over Micaela Hein at court No. 4. That victory was followed by Andrea Remynse at court No. 3, as she downed ASU's Laila Abdala, 6-1, 6-3. Lumpkin followed with another straight-set win at court No. 5, as she defeated Leitch, 6-1, 7-5.
Suddenly just a point away from losing, the Sun Devils responded in a big way. Wins by Ashlee Brown at court No. 6 and Nadia Abdala at court No. 1 tied the match at 3-3. ASU then clinched the dual-match win at court No. 2, as Kelcy McKenna battled back for a 4-6, 6-4, 6-3 win over Bruin senior Tracy Lin.
The Bruins have a big week ahead, hosting matches against three ranked opponents - No. 8 Baylor (Tue.), No. 3 Stanford (Fri.) and No. 11 Cal (Sat.).
1. N. Abdala/L. Abdala (ASU) def. Zalameda/Lin (UCLA) 8-6
2. Wendy Pilecka/Leitch (ASU) def. Lumpkin/ Stephanie Wetmore (UCLA) 8-6
3. Hein/McKenna (ASU) def. Remynse/Joelson (UCLA) 8-6
ASU Wins Doubles Point
1. Nadia Abdala (ASU) def. Riza Zalameda (UCLA) 7-6(2) 3-6 6-1
2. Kelcy McKenna (ASU) def. Tracy Lin (UCLA) 4-6 6-4 6-3
3. Andrea Remynse (UCLA) def. Laila Abdala (ASU) 6-1 6-3
4. Ashley Joelson (UCLA) def. Micaela Hein (ASU) 6-1 6-2
5. Elizabeth Lumpkin (UCLA) def. Jessica Leitch (ASU) 6-1 7-5
6. Ashlee Brown (ASU) def. Anna-Viktoria Lind (UCLA) 3-6 6-2 6-1
Singles Order of Finish: 4, 3, 5, 6, 1, 2