May 12, 2007
LOS ANGELES - The ninth-seeded UCLA men's tennis team booked a trip to Athens, Ga. on Saturday, as the Bruins defeated Texas Tech, 4-0 in an NCAA Second Round showdown at the Los Angeles Tennis Center. With the win, UCLA (21-3) advances to the round of 16 where it will face the winner of tomorrow's second round match between Oklahoma and eighth-seeded Oklahoma State. That round of 16 showdown is scheduled for Thursday, May 17 at 6:00 p.m. (EST) at the University of Georgia's Dan Magill Tennis Complex.
Unlike its match with UNLV in the first round on Friday, UCLA had to claw out a tough doubles point, as Texas Tech (14-10) came out inspired to start the match. UCLA's No. 1 doubles team of Philipp Gruendler and Benjamin Kohlloeffel took care of business as usual, posting an 8-3 victory over 33rd-ranked Christian Rojmar/Bojan Szumanski. The Red Raiders answered back, however, as Teddy DiBlasi and Dimitrio Martinez recorded an 8-6 win over Mathieu Dehaine and Jeremy Drean at court No. 3. All attention then turned to court No. 2, where UCLA's Haythem Abid and Chris Surapol downed Tech's Michael Breler/Sinisa Markovic, 8-5 to clinch the point.
After pulling out a hard fought doubles point, the Bruins kept up their intensity in singles play, taking the first set on five of six courts. UCLA took a 2-0 lead in the match when Gruendler posted a 6-4, 6-4 decision against Markovic at court No. 3. Kohlloeffel, ranked No. 4 in the country, wasn't far behind at court No. 1, as he defeated the 37th-ranked Szumanski, 6-4, 6-1. Like he did in doubles, Surapol clinched the win for UCLA at court No. 4, defeating Breler, 6-3, 6-3.
UCLA has advanced to the round of 16 in every season since the team format was adopted in 1977 (31 years). The Bruins have also advanced to at least the quarterfinals in all 13 seasons under head coach Billy Martin.
1. (14) Gruendler/Kohlloeffel (UCLA) def. (33) Rojmar/Szumanski (TTU) - 8-3
2. Abid/Surapol (UCLA) def. Breler/Markovic (TTU) - 8-5
3. Teddy DiBlasi/Martinez (TTU) def. Dehaine/Jeremy Drean (UCLA) - 8-6
UCLA wins doubles point --- Order of finish: 1, 3, 2
1. (4) Benjamin Kohlloeffel (UCLA) def. (37) Bojan Szumanski (TTU) - 6-4, 6-1
2. (28) Haythem Abid (UCLA) led (87) Dimitrio Martinez (TTU) - 7-5, 2-4 Susp.
3. Philipp Gruendler (UCLA) def. Sinisa Markovic (TTU) - 6-4, 6-4
4. (47) Chris Surapol (UCLA) def. Michael Breler (TTU) - 6-3, 6-3*
5. Mathieu Dehaine (UCLA) led Christian Rojmar (TTU) - 6-4, 5-4 Susp.
6. Michael Look (UCLA) vs. Milos Kustudija (TTU) - 5-7, 6-0 Susp.
Order of finish: 3, 1, 4 --- * Denotes Clinching Match