April 7, 2007
TUCSON, Ariz. - One day after dropping a tough 4-3 decision to Arizona State, the 10th-ranked UCLA women's tennis team rebounded to take a 5-2 win over Arizona at the LaNelle Robson Tennis Center. The Wildcats move to 8-12 overall and 2-4 in the Pac-10. The Bruins improve to 13-6 and 4-1 in conference action.
In doubles, the Wildcats and Bruins split the first two matches with UCLA winning on court two and Arizona coming out victorious on court three. In the No. 1 spot, Anna-Viktoria Lind and Riza Zalameda battled with Danielle Steinberg and Juliette Mavroleon for an hour and half before coming away with the win that secured the doubles point for the Bruins.
Sophomore Steinberg and junior Mavroleon again highlighted the match with big upsets. Steinberg was to take the down the 22nd-ranked Zalameda one day after beating the No. 10 player in the nation, 6-4, 6-1. Mavroleon was able to get her second upset in a row in straight sets. She beat No. 49 Tracy Lin, 6-2, 6-4.
UCLA heads to the Bay Area next week, taking on top-ranked Stanford on Friday and No. 5 Cal on Saturday.
1. Lind/Zalameda (UCLA) def Steinberg/Mavroleon (UA)- 9-8(2)
2. (33) Lumpkin/Wetmore (UCLA) def Rochefort/Todorova (UA) - 8-3
3. Toporowska/Orletsky (UA) def Lin/Joelson (UCLA) - 8-4
UCLA Wins Doubles Point
1. (91) Danielle Steinberg (UA) def (22) Riza Zalameda (UCLA) - 6-4, 6-1
2. Juliette Mavroleon (UA) def (49) Tracy Lin (UCLA) - 6-2, 6-4
3. Ashley Joelson (UCLA) def Natalia Toporowska (UA) - 6-2, 6-2
4. Elizabeth Lumpkin (UCLA) def Camelia Todorova (UA) - 6-4, 6-1
5. Anna-Viktoria Lind (UCLA) def Katie Orletsky (UA) - 6-0, 6-1
6. Stephanie Wetmore (UCLA) def Jessie Rochefort (UA) - 6-2, 7-5
Order of Finish:
Doubles - 2, 3, 1
Singles - 5, 3, 1, 6, 4, 2