April 14, 2005
Malibu, Calif. -The No. 10-ranked UCLA women's tennis team played its final non-conference opponent of the regular season Thursday, defeating Pepperdine, 6-1 at the Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center in Malibu. The Bruins improve to 14-5 with the win, while the Waves fall to 11-7.
At number one doubles, Caroline Raba and Sylvia Kosakowski tested the No. 2 ranked pair of Daniela Bercek and Riza Zalameda. Pepperdine got back on serve when Raba held at 2-4. Bringing the score to 6-6 later in the match on Kosakowski's serve, the Waves neared an upset. UCLA fended off the Waves in the next two games for the 8-6 win to complete the sweep.
The Bruins continued their dominance in singles matches, taking five of the six. Gordon, Zalameda and Elizabeth Lumpkin posted UCLA's first three wins to clinch its eighth win in its last nine matches.
Eva Dickes registered Pepperdine's only point when Sarah Gregg retired at 5-5 in the first set. The Waves' closest match came in the number three position as Kosakowski was beaten by McGoodwin, 7-5, 7-5.
The Bruins end the regular season this Saturday, hosting No. 4 USC at the Los Angeles Tennis Center beginning at Noon.
1. Bercek/Zalameda (UCLA) def. Kosakowski/Raba (Pepperdine) 8-6
2. McGoodwin/Gordon (UCLA) def. Dickes/Dulgheru (Pepperdine) 8-3
3. Lin/Gregg (UCLA) def. Asimgil/Dunlap (Pepperdine) 8-1
UCLA Wins Doubles Point
1. Daniela Bercek (UCLA) def. Bianca Dulgheru (Pepperdine) 6-4, 6-2
2. Riza Zalameda (UCLA) def. Caroline Raba (Pepperdine) 6-2, 6-0
3. Alex McGoodwin (UCLA) def. Sylvia Kosakowski (Pepperdine) 7-5, 7-5
4. Eva Dickes (Pepperdine) def. Sarah Gregg (UCLA) 5-5, ret.
5. Laura Gordon (UCLA) def. Merve Asimgil (Pepperdine) 6-3, 6-4
6. Elizabeth Lumpkin (UCLA) def. Vanessa Dunlap (Pepperdine) 6-1, 6-2