May 11, 2007
LOS ANGELES - The ninth-seeded UCLA men's tennis team had little trouble in its NCAA Tournament opener on Friday, cruising to a 4-0 victory over UNLV in a first round match at the Los Angeles Tennis Center. Next up for the Bruins (20-3) is a second round showdown against Texas Tech (14-9) on Saturday at 3:00 p.m. The Red Raiders downed Virginia Commonwealth, 4-1 in the first match on Friday.
UCLA got on the board following a pair of doubles wins at court Nos. 1 and 2. After Philipp Gruendler and Benjamin Kohlloeffel took care of business at the top spot, UCLA's Haythem Abid and Chris Surapol clinched the point for the Bruins with an 8-6 win over UNLV's Wesley Burrows/Jonathan Hooper.
Gruendler continued his winning ways in singles, quickly downing Burrows, 6-2, 6-1 at court No. 3. His doubles partner, Kohlloeffel, was next to finish when he downed Elliot Wronski by the same score at court No. 1.
UCLA junior Mathieu Dehaine clinched the victory for the Bruins at court No. 5, registering a 6-2, 6-2 win over David Campbell. When play was suspended, Surapol led Slavko Bijelica, 6-0, 5-3 at court No. 4. Both Abid and Michael Look were up breaks in the second set after dropping first sets.
Saturday's second round winner advances to next week's NCAA Round of 16 in Athens, Ga.
1. (14) Gruendler/Kohlloeffel (UCLA) def. Hunter/Wronski (UNLV) - 8-2
2. Abid/Surapol (UCLA) def. Burrows/Jonathan Hooper (UNLV) - 8-6
3. Dehaine/Jeremy Drean (UCLA) led Bijelica/Campbell (UNLV) - 7-4 Susp.
UCLA wins doubles point.--- Order of finish: 1, 2
1. (4) Benjamin Kohlloeffel (UCLA) def. (60) Elliot Wronski (UNLV) - 6-2, 6-1
2. Slavko Bijelica (UNLV) led (28) Haythem Abid (UCLA) - 6-3, 3-5 Susp.
3. Philipp Gruendler (UCLA) def. Wesley Burrows (UNLV) - 6-2, 6-1
4. (47) Chris Surapol (UCLA) led Brett Hunter (UNLV) - 6-0, 5-3 Susp.
5. Mathieu Dehaine (UCLA) def. David Campbell (UNLV) - 6-2, 6-2*
6. Luca Barlocchi (UNLV) led Michael Look (UCLA) 6-4, 2-4 Susp.
Order of finish: 3, 1, 5 --- * Denotes Clinching Match