UCLA was perfect on the women's side, with all four players posting first-round victories, three of which came in straight sets. Second-seeded Robin Anderson, eighth-seeded Jennifer Brady and Kyle McPhillips were straight-set winners, while Chanelle Van Nguyen was able to win in three.
The Bruin men had two out of three players advance, however top-seed Clay Thompson fell in the first round to South Florida's Roberto Cid, 6-3, 6-3. Freshman Mackenzie McDonald picked up an upset on Wednesday, downing fourth-seeded Mitchell Frank from Virginia, 6-2, 7-5.
Below are Wednesday's UCLA results and Thursday's schedule.
NCAA Individual Championships
Wednesday, May 21 (Georgia's Dan Magill Tennis Complex)
Women's First Round Singles (May 21)
(2) Robin Anderson (UCLA) def. Alanna Wolff (Princeton), 6-2, 6-1
(8) Jennifer Brady (UCLA) def. Jordaan Sanford (Baylor), 0-6, 6-4, 6-3
Kyle McPhillips (UCLA) def. Ana Vladutu (DEPAUL), 6-1, 6-2 (9-16) Chanelle Van Nguyen (UCLA) def. Caroline Price (North Carolina), 7-6(6), 4-6, 7-5
Women's Second Round Singles (May 22)
(1) Robin Anderson (UCLA) vs. Caroline Doyle (Stanford) - 11:00 a.m.
(8) Jennifer Brady (UCLA) vs. Petra Niedermayerova (Kansas State) - 11:30 a.m.
Kyle McPhillips (UCLA) vs. (3) Kristie Ahn (Stanford) - 11:30 a.m.
(9-16) Chanelle Van Nguyen (UCLA) vs. Yana Koroleva (Clemson) - Noon
Women's First Round Doubles (May 22)
(1) Anderson/Brady (UCLA) vs. Beatrice Gumulya/Jessy Rompies (Clemson) - 4:00 p.m.
Catherine Harrison/McPhillips (UCLA) vs. Victoria Kisialeva/Blair Shankle (Baylor) - 4:30 p.m.
Men's First Round Singles (May 21)
Roberto Cid (South Florida) def. (1) Clay Thompson (UCLA), 6-3, 6-3
(2) Marcos Giron (UCLA) def. Hunter Reese (Tennessee), 6-1, 6-1
Mackenzie McDonald (UCLA) def. (4) Mitchell Frank (Virginia), 6-2, 7-5
Men's Second Round Singles (May 22)
Giron/McDonald (UCLA) vs. Casey MacMaster/Denis Nguyen (Harvard) - 6:00 p.m.