ATHLETICS PEER LEARNING LAB (APLL)
NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR 2015-2016:
Interested in becoming a Peer Learning Facilitator (PLF)?
- Highly Competitive Pay – $13-$18/hour
- Flexible, Part-Time Student Job – Evening Hours
- Convenient Location – Work On-Campus at Covel Commons
- Networking Opportunities with UCLA Professors, Staff, and Students
- Professional and Academic Growth
Application deadline extended! Accepting applications on a rolling basis!
Applications may also be picked up at one of the following campus locations:
- Athletics Peer Learning Lab (237 Covel Commons)
- Athletics Academic & Student Services (127 Morgan Center)
- Honors (A311 Murphy Hall)
- Division of Undergraduate Education – Personnel office (2340 Murphy Hall)
- Academic Counseling – hallway display cabinet (across from A-316 Murphy Hall)
Click here for answers to your frequently asked questions about becoming a PLF
- Registered undergraduate at UCLA in Fall 2015.
- Overall GPA of at least 3.25.
- Commitment to work the entire 2015-16 academic year (Fall, Winter and Spring quarter).
- Commitment to attend the entire initial training on Monday, 9/21/15, Tuesday, 9/22/15 and Wednesday, 9/23/15 from 10:00 am – 6:00 pm., as well as ongoing trainings scheduled each quarter.
- Commitment to maintain a regular work schedule and facilitate weekly peer learning sessions from Weeks 2 – 10 each quarter during lab hours: Mondays – Thursdays between 5:30 pm – 9:30 pm.
- Willingness to provide all types of peer learning offered through the labs as assigned, including facilitating group, individual, and/or drop-in appointments and working with the diverse students served by the Athletics Peer Learning Lab.
- Commitment to work a minimum of six hours per week.
About Our Services:
The Athletics Peer Learning Lab complements the S.U.C.C.E.S.S. mission of Academic & Student Services by providing an interactive learning environment for student-athletes that emphasizes life-long learning habits, goal setting, teamwork, leadership, and character. The array of services provided is centered on the idea of the self-sufficient, independent learner.
At our lab, undergraduate Peer Learning Facilitators (“tutors”) provide academic guidance for UCLA student-athletes in group and individual peer learning sessions. The focus of support is lower-division, General Education courses, but learning guidance is also offered for selected introductory math/science courses, academic writing, and occasionally for upper-division courses. The mission in each peer learning session is to cultivate student-athletes’ learning independence by helping them gain self-awareness of their learning habits, communicate their educational needs, set attainable goals, and develop the skills necessary to meet their personal expectations.
For more information, please contact us at APLL@athletics.ucla.edu or (310) 206-7526.