May 4, 2013
NCAA Championship Match Notes
- UC Irvine wins its fourth NCAA Men's Volleyball Championship. The Anteaters previously won in 2007, 2009 and 2012.
- This is the sixth overall NCAA Division I Championship for UC Irvine. The school also has 15 NCAA Division II titles.
- UC Irvine head coach David Kniffin is just the second coach in the 44-year history of NCAA men's volleyball to coach a team to the NCAA Championship in his first season.
- UC Irvine is the first school to win back-to-back NCAA Championships since UCLA in 1995 and 1996.
- UC Irvine, which swept USC in the final a year ago, is the first school to sweep in the NCAA Championship match in back-to-back years since UCLA in 1982 and 1983.
- UC Irvine is now 4-0 in NCAA championship matches and 8-1 all-time in the NCAA Tournament.
- BYU is now 3-2 in NCAA title matches.
- The championship match attendance of 6,295 was the highest for a championship match not involving the host school since BYU and Long Beach State drew 8,026 at UCLA in 1999.
- UC Irvine's Connor Hughes, Chris Austin and Kevin Tillie each made the All-Tournament Team for the second consecutive year.
Connor Hughes, UC Irvine (Most Outstanding Player)
Chris Austin, UC Irvine
Michael Brinkley, UC Irvine Collin Mehring, UC Irvine
Kevin Tillie, UC Irvine
Ben Patch, BYU
Taylor Sander, BYU