Word From Westwood - March 13, 2012
March 13, 2012
A few weeks ago, I said to all of you, as well as to the local and national media, that the evaluation of the men's basketball team and coaching staff would be at the end of their season, as it is with each of our programs and coaches.
As we all know, Coach Howland has guided some of his UCLA teams to compete at the highest level of college basketball and I am convinced that he can get us back there. Thus I announced earlier today that he will be retained as our coach.
Coach Howland is eager to continue to carry on the UCLA basketball tradition.
While a great deal of attention has surrounded the men's basketball program in recent weeks, many of our teams and individuals have made their own news, including:
· A perfect 10 on the vault for senior Tauny Frattone as #3-ranked gymnastics defeated #2 Oklahoma in front of a capacity crowd at the Wooden Center
· A 10 game winning streak for the #9-ranked baseball team entering Tuesday's game against USC at Dodger Stadium and a home series against Arizona State this weekend
· Sophomore Ida Storm's school record during her second place finish in the weight throw at the NCAA Women's Indoor Track & Field Championships
· #1 women's water polo, #1 women's tennis and #1 women's golf remaining atop the national rankings in their respective sports
· #4-ranked men's tennis, winners of four out of its last five matches, meeting Baylor this week in a rematch of last year's Round of 16 battle in the NCAA Tournament
· Softball (ranked #16) reeling off seven consecutive wins prior to a two-week break in their schedule
Ask Dan Question of the Week
Q: Dan, I would like to know if the Athletic Department is planning a dinner or an event for Al Scates. I play golf with 3 high school friends, and we thought it would be fun to surprise Al, as we all attended Westchester High School together in the 50's.
A: Marty, thank you for the question about a man who truly is a living legend.
Thank you all for your submissions - please know that each question submitted was read, and please don't forget to submit a question to firstname.lastname@example.org this week.
CLick for Bruin Video