Oct. 13, 2012
Final Stats |
Photo Gallery 1 |
Photo Gallery 2
UCLA 21, Utah 14
October 13, 2012 - Rose Bowl
- UCLA improved to 5-2, its best start through seven games since 2007 (also started 5-2). In addition, the Bruins are now 2-2 in the Pac-12.
- The Bruins snapped a two-game losing streak against Utah and improved to 9-2 in the all-time series.
- The win also marked UCLA's sixth straight home win against Utah, a streak dating back to the first meeting in 1933.
- UCLA completed the second-longest pass play of the season, a 64-yard touchdown completion from redshirt freshman Brett Hundley to redshirt senior Shaquelle Evans (3:24, first quarter).
- In addition, UCLA improved to 4-1 when leading after the first quarter and 4-0 when ahead at halftime.
- UCLA was 9-for-15 on third-down conversions (60.0 percent), after having entered the game 33-for-94 (35.1 percent) on third-down conversions this season.
- On defense, UCLA limited Utah to 75 rushing yards, the second time this season that the Bruins' opponent has been held to fewer than 100 rushing yards (held Oregon State to 72 yards on Sept. 22).
- Saturday's attendance was 66,303 at the Rose Bowl.
- Brett Hundley's 64-yard touchdown pass to Shaquelle Evans in the first quarter was his second-longest pass of the season (had a 65-yard touchdown pass to Evans against Oregon State).
- The 12-yard touchdown run in the first quarter by Hundley, marked his fifth rushing TD of the year.
- Hundley's 14 touchdown passes this fall are the most by a UCLA quarterback since 2005, when Drew Olson set UCLA's single-season record with 34 touchdown passes.
- In addition, Hundley has thrown at least one touchdown pass in each of UCLA's seven games this season.
- Johnathan Franklin picked up his 22nd career rushing TD (fourth this season) in the third quarter.
- Redshirt senior Andrew Abbott recorded his third interception of the season, his seventh career interception. Abbott also had two interceptions in UCLA's 42-14 victory at Colorado (Sept. 29).
- Redshirt sophomore Tevin McDonald recorded a season-high 10 tackles (tied season-high with eight solo tackles).
- True senior Datone Jones and true junior Cassius Marsh were each credited with one sack.
- True freshman Travis Wilson made his first career start at quarterback. Utah has had four true freshman starting quarterbacks since the NCAA restored freshman eligibility in 1972 - Wilson, Jordan Wynn (2009), Scott Cate (1982) and Ken Vierra (1981).
- Travis Wilson threw for 220 yards in his starting debut (23-of-33, one interception). Wilson also caught a 23-yard pass on a reverse play.
- Jon Hays threw a one-yard touchdown pass to Dres Anderson in the fourth quarter. Hays went 1-for-1 passing in the game.
- DeVonte Christopher threw a 23 yard pass to Travis Wilson on a reverse play in the fourth quarter. Christopher is 3-for-4 passing in his career for 40 yards. Christopher had four catches for 54 yards in the game.
- Dres Anderson led Utah with nine catches for 70 yards, including a one-yard touchdown catch in the fourth quarter.
- John White led Utah in rushing with 11 carries for 44 yards.
- Ryan Lacy scored his first career touchdown when he fell on a fumble in the end zone in the first quarter. Utah has scored three touchdowns off fumble recoveries this season (BYU, USC, UCLA).
- Sean Sellwood had two punts of over 50 yards, downing two punts inside the 20-yard line. He has 48 punts of 50+ yards in his career, tying Marv Bateman for second on the all-time list. Sellwood had three punts for a 54.3 punt average.
- Brian Blechen led Utah with eight tackles. Jacoby Hale was second on the team with seven tackles.