Oct. 29, 2008
Get to know UCLA freshman defender Andy Rose in this week's 11 Questions. Rose came to UCLA from Bristol, England, where he was the captain of the U-16 and U-18 Bristol City FC teams. At UCLA, he has played in 15 of the Bruins' 16 games this season, making 12 starts. He is tied for third on the squad with three assists.
1. You're one of the few European players UCLA has recruited in recent years. How did that all come about?
Coming to the States to play in college was always in the back of my
mind because it's such a great opportunity. So when I was younger, I got in touch with a few schools. The coaches here came out to England to watch me play, and I guess they liked what they saw, so I came for a visit and fell in love with the place!
2. What do you miss the most about England?
3 o'clock on a Saturday afternoon watching all the "soccer games" with a cup of tea. And my dogs!
3. What is the best thing about living in Los Angeles?
It's gotta be the weather ... We don't get too much sunshine back home.
4. A lot of your teammates seem to be very impressed by your British accent. Is an American accent as charming in England as a British one is here?
No comment ... But a few of the guys have been working on their British accents, and I'm sure Chris Cummings could pass for being English. Naka and Christian might struggle.
5. You must have gone to English Premiere League games. What is the best soccer venue you've been to? And which team has the best atmosphere?
I'm a big Man United fan, and my dad is a huge Tottenham Hotspur fan, so we went to watch those two play at White Hart Lane a few years
ago. That had to be the best atmosphere I've experienced. The car
ride home was great too after United won.
6. Is it harder to drive on the right side of the road or the left side?
The right side. Fortunately, I don't drive here.
7. Which member of the UCLA soccer team would you like to trade places with for a day and why?
I would have to say Brian Perk because even though his clothing style is questionable, I would love to be able to pull it off for a day.
8. What would you like to be doing 10 years from now?
I would love to be playing professionally either in England or here in the States.
9. What is your hidden talent?
I'd have to say cricket. I'm quite a handy batsman. That or tennis (ask Michael Stephens)
10. Should David Beckham be on the English World Cup team?
Definitely. I've always been a fan of his, and his experience will help some of the younger lads in the squad. Then again, we need to qualify first ...
11. Name your all-time UCLA Starting XI.
Goalkeeper: Brian Perk
Defenders: Zack Zerrenner, Brad Rusin, Danny Suits, Chris Cummings
Midfielders: Jason Leopoldo, Kyle Nakazawa, JB Vazquez, Oscar Reyes
Strikers: Max Griffin, Fernando Monge
(I'd put Sean Alvarado in for whoever gets tired now that his knee's better!)